- By AK Contractor & Roofing
- In gutter maintenance tips, Roof Replacement
- Tags when installing gutters do I need to replace my roof
When Installing Gutters Do I Need To Replace My Roof
When Installing Gutters, Do I Need to Replace My Roof
Many people want to install a better gutter system to better protect their homes. However, many people stop this process because they believe that the roof needs to be replaced with gutters. In this article, we are going to learn about gutters and roofing. We will learn when you should replace your roof and gutters and what you can look for to determine if your roof needs to be redone. Keep reading to learn more!
PRO TIP: Learn more about the difference between re roofing or a roof replacement.
When you are looking at new gutters, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. If you are looking for new gutters, odds are your old ones were not doing their job properly. This could have caused damage to the roof. When this happens, people often wonder if they should get their roofs replaced or just their gutters.
Speaking generally, you are not going to need a new roof if you are replacing your gutters. However, it would be an ideal time to look at your roof and see if it has been compromised. If the roof is compromised, you may want to look into a roof replacement and then install new gutters.
Pros of Replacing Your Gutters and Your Roof at the Same Time
There are many positive aspects of replacing your gutters and roof at the same time. Keep reading to learn the pros of doing both at the same time.
- One thing you should consider when replacing your gutters is the damage to your roof. If your roof and gutters are replaced at the same time, you are going to know that the system works together well. If you just install gutters, you may have a larger problem with your roof. However, if you have your gutters cleaned regularly, you will not have to replace your old gutters as often.
- If you are replacing both at the same time, you can expect the roofer to have an easier job. They are not going to have to work around the gutter system already in place. Replacing your gutters will allow the roofers to not worry about bending the light metal material of your gutters.
- Replacing both gutters and your roof at the same time, you are going to be able to coordinate the colors and materials to match. This will allow for a better curb appeal.
Cons of Replacing Your Gutters and Roof at the Same Time
As there are pros, there are also cons to replacing your roof and gutters at the same time.
- If you are upgrading your roofing system, you may not entirely need new gutters. This means that you are going to be paying for new gutters when you do not need them. Ensure that your gutters are compromised before you decide to install new ones.
- If you are replacing both at the same time, the price of your project increases. This is going to be especially true if you have extensive water damage to your roof. If the roof and gutters are both compromised, replace both at the same time.
Knowing When Gutters Need to Be Replaced
As you know, gutters can harbor a lot of water when they become clogged. You can expect to replace your gutters when they are starting to show signs of wear. This could include cracks or rust. You may also choose to replace your gutters if they are outdated.
Knowing When Your Roof Needs to Be Replaced
Often, when installing gutters, people will look at their roofs. Here are the things to look for to determine if you will need to replace your roof at the time of your gutter replacement or installation.
- You want to ensure that there are no curling or missing shingles. If there are, you are going to have a weak spot on your roof. This makes it easy for water to enter the home or damage underneath the shingles.
- The lining that can be found at the bottom of your chimney is known as flashing. If this is cracked in cement or even tar, make sure you are upgrading your roof. You want to ensure that the flashing is done properly to avoid rusting or leaking.
- You want to look at where the wall and roof connect. If there is decay in these areas, make sure that you are replacing your roof. You will also need to add more step flashing to protect this area.
- Your Attic
- Looking at the ceiling of your attic can help you determine the health of your roof. If you notice any light beams, dark stains, or streaks on the ceiling of your attic, there is a leak. You may also notice sagging on the top floor of your home if you look at the ceiling.
- Your gutters can become clogged. This traps water and can cause the material to rust. It will also pool on the shingles of your roof. This is going to cause the shingle material to deteriorate quicker than normal.
When Installing Gutters, Do I Need to Replace My Roof
When you need new gutters, you do not need to replace the roof. However, this is a great time to get your roof inspected. Ensure that your roof is not compromised. Take the time to hire a professional roofing company to determine the life of your roof and if a gutter and roof replacement are both recommended.
AK Contractor can help you with both your gutter needs and your roof replacement needs. Not to mention, you can expect a professional to come out and assess your roof to ensure it does not need fixing or replacing. Now you know, when installing gutters, you do not need to replace or install a new roof unless it is necessary due to damages. Contact AK Contractor today to get a quote and get an appointment made for your gutters, roof, or both!